1 a literary or scientific association for the promotion of learning [syn: atheneum]
2 a place where reading materials are available [syn: atheneum]
Athenaeum, also Athenæum or Atheneum, is used in the names of institutions or periodicals for literary, scientific, or artistic study. It may also be used in the names of educational institutions. The name is formed from the name of the classical Greek goddess Athena (the goddess of wisdom) in the same way that museum is formed from muse (the goddesses of culture).
Some well-known examples include:
- Athenaeum, the founding literary journal of German Romanticism.
- Athenaeum—a London literary magazine published between 1828 and 1921.
- The Athenaeum in Columbia, Tennessee
- The Athenaeum Hotel in Piccadilly, London.
- The Athenaeum Club in London.
- The Limerick Athenaeum, founded 1852
- The Liverpool Athenaeum, founded 1797
- The Athenaeum, Paris—an academic institution that existed in the early nineteenth century.
- The Athénée de Luxembourg, secondary school in Luxemburg, founded in 1603
- The Boston Athenaeum in Boston, Massachusetts
- The Berkshire Athenaeum in Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- The Glasgow Athenaeum, established in 1847, now the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama
- The Athenaeum Illustre in Amsterdam.
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- The Providence Athenaeum in Providence, Rhode Island
- The Romanian Athenaeum in Bucharest
- The Athenaeum in Chicago—a theater and performing arts center, opened in 1911.
- The Athenaeum in New Harmony, Indiana designed by Richard Meier.
- The Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut
- The Marian Miner Cook Athenaeum, which hosts more than one hundred dinner and lecture events with distinguished speakers each year at Claremont McKenna College in Claremont, California.
- (spelled as Atheneum):
- The Athenaeum in Cincinnati, Ohio, succeeded by St. Xavier High School.
- The Athanaeum Theatre and Library in Melbourne, Australia
- The Athenaeum, official student newspaper of Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
- The Athenaeum, originally a gathering place German-Americans in Indianapolis.
- The St. Johnsbury Athenaeum, St. Johnsbury, Vermont, a National Historic Landmark
- Ateneum, an art museum in Helsinki, Finland
- The Nantucket Atheneum in Nantucket, Massachusetts
- The Athenaeum, Virginia in Alexandria, Virginia, home to the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association
athenaeum in Danish: Athenæum
athenaeum in German: Athenäum
athenaeum in Finnish: Ateneum
athenaeum in French: Athénée (homonymie)
athenaeum in Russian: Атеней